Submitted by Lisa Carey, Risk Coordinator - Jacksonville Transportation Authority
It’s known as the award of all awards, the Oscars of transportation, the most distinguished of all honors to be handed out at the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) national convention, the Outstanding Public Transportation System Achievement Award. In 2016, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority received this honor by demonstrating “achievement in efficiency and effectiveness” for the last three years in the mid-size category (systems providing more than 4 million, but fewer than 20 million annual passenger trips).
APTA evaluated JTA’s safety practices, operations, maintenance, access, customer service, financial management, sustainability, workforce development, attendance and employee costs, minority and women advancement, marketing, and community relations. They also evaluated quantitative measures, such as riders per hour and total passenger miles.
“This significant award is a testament to the hard work, enthusiasm and innovation of the Authority’s dedicated employees,” said JTA Board Immediate Past Chairman Scott L. McCaleb. “On behalf of the Board of Directors I would like to extend my deepest congratulations to the entire JTA team led by CEO Nat Ford.”
“This is a great honor, and validates our journey to transform transportation in Jacksonville and deliver world class service to Northeast Florida,” said JTA Chief Executive Officer Nathaniel P. Ford Sr. “I am so proud of our staff who deliver exceptional customer service and are dedicated to fulfilling our mission to improve Northeast Florida’s economy, environment and quality of life by providing safe, reliable and efficient multimodal transportation services and facilities. The award also recognizes the leadership of our visionary Board of Directors and our amazing customers.”
The JTA capped off 2016 with one more major award, the Florida Public Transportation Association (FPTA) System of the Year. In addition, the Authority’s magazine, Momentum, won first place for print collateral. The website, Making Moves TV Show and First Coast Flyer Campaign placed third in their respective categories. It was the icing on the cake to be recognized by their peers in the state of Florida, a true testament to the hard work of every employee in the Authority.
2016 JTA Awards:
• BizTech Innovation Award from the Jacksonville Business Journal
• Conference of Minority Transportation Officials (COMTO)
• JAXUSA Industry Leader Award (Chamber of Commerce)
• APTA Outstanding Public Transportation System Achievement Award for mid-size properties
• FPTA Outstanding System of the Year
• NAACP Sallye Mathis Community Service Award – Ken Middleton received
• FPTA Marketing Awards – Print Collateral – First Place “Momentum” Magazine
• FPTA Marketing Awards – Digital Media – Third Place JTA Websites
• FPTA Marketing Awards – Sustaining Campaigns – Third Place First Coast Flyer
• FPTA Marketing Awards – Audio Visual Media – Third Place “Making Moves” TV Show