Local governments face significant financial loss when a cyber attack occurs. In recent years there has been a sharp increase in the number of reported cyber attacks that target local governments using stolen logins and passwords. Cybercriminals often rely on human error such as employees failing to install software upgrades or clicking on malicious links to gain access to computer systems. Once access is gained, the absence of proper backup systems for data can cause an organization to become paralyzed. Best practices to avoid the devasting effects of a cyber attack include:
- Safely manage your password and email account
- Secure your computer and mobile devices – institute Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
- Avoid risky online behavior – operate on a known, safe and secure network
- Protect your data – utilize adequate backup systems
- Equip yourself with the knowledge of cybersecurity guidelines, policies, and procedures.
To assist our members with their cybersecurity exposures, Preferred offers the following services and support to members at no cost:
Preferred Risk Management Resource Center
Preferred Loss Control’s Preferred Risk Management Resource Center is available to members that have their EPLI coverages with Preferred and provides the following cybersecurity resources at no cost:
- Unlimited access to cybersecurity experts via phone and email
- Breach HealthCheck – Measurable data breach exposure and protection through instant feedback.
- Robust privacy and security templates, including a customizable incident response plan (IRP)
- Resources for keeping staff up to date on a range of issues related to privacy, data security and compliance
- Latest news and events regarding data breaches, regulations, class-action lawsuits, cyber threats and protective technologies
Vector Solutions online training
Vector Solutions online cybersecurity resources feature several courses with up-to-date lessons for browser, email and password security to improve cybersecurity awareness amongst employees and mitigate risks to your organization. Courses offered at no cost to Preferred members include the following:
- Cybersecurity Awareness for Employees: Classifying and Safeguarding Data for Corporate and Personal Use
- Cybersecurity Awareness for Employees: End-User Best Practices
- Cybersecurity Awareness for Employees: Security Awareness Essentials
- Cybersecurity Awareness for Employees: Social Engineering
For questions or to request additional information please contact your Regional Loss Control Consultant.