Submitted by Jose Lugo, Risk Manager - Town of Davie
The FRPA Awards are presented annually to parks and recreation agencies throughout Florida that have enhanced awareness of their agency within the community. The #SaferBy4 campaign is championed by the Davie Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts, the Davie Fire Department, and the Police Department since 2017 through the promotion of safe sleep practices and swim lessons. About the #SaferBy4 initiative:
There are two components of the Town’s #SaferBy4 initiative: water safety (drowning prevention) and safe sleep practices for infants.
#SaferBy4 focuses on children under the age of four and provides education, programming, and prevention to thousands of parents with widespread awareness campaigns including, but not limited to:
• Educational pamphlets with all new pool permit applications.
• In-person events with a #SaferBy4 tent and giveaways to educate and inform parents.
• Swim-to-Slide drowning prevention program to encourage children to take swim lessons before using water slides.
• Proclamation from the Mayor and Town Councilmembers declaring May as Water Safety Month.
• Aquatic Division truck wrap advertisements.
The FRPA Award was presented to Davie Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts department for their campaign mission to save lives, prevent drowning, and improve the quality of life in our town and surrounding communities.
“The dedication from our team, along with the collaboration from other departments, to promote the #SaferBy4 initiative within the town is truly remarkable,” Parks, Recreation and Cultural Arts Director Jeff Pohlman said. “We are honored and grateful to be the recipient of the FRPA Award.”
Preferred would like to congratulate the Town of Davie on a job well done.